Asynchronous Learning model is the new learning model which is becoming increasingly popular among the students. Asynchronous learning model provides flexibility to the learners and allows them to move with the content at their own pace. This method of learning also allows learners to combine the knowledge of multiple experts into one learning experience. The advancements in technology in the recent years have enabled students to choose how they want to learn a course, and asynchronous learning model proves to be more beneficial for many students.

Asynchronous Learning

Many students nowadays prefer asynchronous learning model compared to the traditional face-to-face learning in classrooms because it provides them the flexibility to study from wherever they would like to study, whether in the same city, or a different province, or even from a different country and there is no need to attend physical lectures. The learners can set goals for themselves as to how much content they want to cover in a specified time frame and it becomes easy for them to utilize other resources related to their course work, as accessing extra information and content is just a few clicks away. This method of learning is best suited for working professionals or part time students who want to take up extra courses while working as this method provides them the freedom to choose their own time and place for studying the content of the course without having to worry much about attending lectures on specified times.

Moreover, this method of learning saves a lot of resources, many of these courses are offered at a lower tuition fees, the travel time is saved, and there is very little concern about the number of students taking the courses as the number of seats available for the course will not be of a major concern. Also, many students are shy at asking questions in the classroom filled with so many students, this method of learning seems to tackle this issue and the students can set up one-to-one over the phone interaction with the instructor if they have questions regarding the course. However, it becomes the responsibility of the learner to organize their time and take initiative to start learning. It will be much helpful if there are short time-management courses in the beginning of each such online course so that those students who are not able to manage their time effectively and usually require a push from their instructors to start working on a task, can benefit from it and take good advantage of this method of learning.

So far I have had good experience with asynchronous learning method, I have taken a couple of e-learning courses before and for all of the courses I have had positive experience, it has always allowed me to learn the course material at my own pace and I didn’t have to worry about missing a lecture due to a rainy or snowy day and I could always catch up from where I left off. Also, while learning the course, if I wanted to know more about a specific topic apart from what is included in the course, I could always look up on the internet and find extra resources and get a better understanding of the content depending on my areas of interest.

With the advancement in technology and more students moving into Asynchronous Learning model, there will be many advancements in this model of learning as well. Many universities are experimenting on the use of artificial intelligence in the teaching-learning environments so that it becomes much easier for students to learn and get quick responses if they have queries related to their course materials and the AI technology could read their facial expressions to get to know if the learner still has confusions with the course work.